Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

Well friends, Valentine's Day is fast approaching once again! I hope you lovebirds are ready with your Hallmark cards and cute little gifts/cute expensive gifts that say "I Love You". Me, on the other hand, won't be celebrating V-Day this year because I am on "Team Single"! However, I do get to help all the other people on "Team In A Relationship" celebrate by serving them food and drinks! Yayyy (with a little hint of sarcasm)!

I honestly don't know how I feel about this Day of Love. I have played for both teams and I find that I don't get as hyped about February 14th as a lot of people do. As nice as it is to get presents and a card saying how special you are to someone (because who doesn't love presents and being told how special they are?), it just seems kind of cliche for my tastes. I would much prefer to have an "out-of-nowhere love celebration". It is more personal, and not forced. For me, when I am in a relationship and Valentine's Day is near, all that goes through my head is, "Shit! I hope I have enough money to buy a gift..." and "I hope I remember to get a nice card before all the good ones are taken..." and "What in the name of god does one buy a GUY on Valentine's Day???" It all seems too forced, too expected...almost a hassle. I am one who enjoys buying stuff for Mr. Right Now when I see something, on any given day, that I think he would enjoy. THAT is how I show my kind feelings in the monetary sense.

With that being said, it kind of got me thinking; If your boyfriend does not get you anything for Valentine's Day, or fails to have something romantic planned for two, does it mean he doesn't love you or appreciate you as much as he should? I know of some gals who have gotten mad because her boyfriend didn't buy her a card that someone else wrote, or never got her a gift that is up to the V-Day standards, or forgot to wish her a Happy Valentine's Day first thing in the morning. What about all the other things he has done for you throughout the relationship? Shouldn't that be taken into account?

In my opinion, the idea of Valentine's Day is beautiful. It is a day set to remind a couple to appreciate and love each other. I like that idea. I just don't understand why things of monetary value have to be thrown in there to prove your level of love. You do understand that the only reason why this particular day seems to be on steroids, is because people in the manufacturing business like to make money...? They blow the day totally out of proportion so they will get rich. Regardless, it works.

I think it would be so nice if couples decided to cut out the presents and cards, and instead decided to give each other a piece of their own heart. Tell your lover how special they are to you and let them know that you appreciate them. Then go ahead and give your bed, kitchen table, counter, floor or...what the heck, even your car exactly what it expects (you know what I'm talkin' about).

So what it boils down to is, the romance on February 14th has been turned into a card-swipin'/money-makin' day. But hey, I'm on "Team Single" and I'm not drunk with love...maybe I'm bitter.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so very true. All I want for Vday is some quality Me-Boy time :) seriously!

Anonymous said...

Hi Parrott!

I completely agree with you. For the past couple of years Sheldon and I have boycotted the restaurant thing (after working at the Jungle, a restaurant on Valentine's seems less than romantic, knowing we're just trying to push you out and make more money:) instead we cook dinner together and make cheesy homemade cards and just commit to spending a night together. In my opinion we don't need a day to remind us to say "I love you" but I do like our little v day traditions. Nice blog, btw, and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well said. Very well said.

I'm glad I kept my receipts. It's not too late to hide those gifts. I'll bring them back tomorrow!