Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Dear Mr. President"

As I was driving to school this morning, I heard a song with the most beautiful melody which instantly gave me chills. Have you ever listened to a song, and really focused on the lyrics and what they meant? You can tell that a song really cuts deep when you feel chills throughout your whole body. Not only did "Dear Mr. President" by Pink give me the chills, but when I attempted to sing along to the chorus, I felt so much emotion, that I actually started to tear up. This song is about Pink wanting to have an honest, real conversation with the President about the most common problems in society today. The issues that you hear about almost everyday on the news, experience, or see...but yet, we can all go to sleep at night and only worry about our own problems or dream peacefully. Although this song is directed to Mr. President, it got me thinking...

Maybe Pink's intention for this song is not to only attack the decisions of the President, but to tell society that WE are not doing enough either. How many times have you passed a homeless person and acted as if they weren't even there, just so you didn't have to give them any of your money. Do you ever look out of your window on a cold, rainy day and wonder where that homeless person is right now or how he/she is staying warm and dry?

My point is, "Dear Mr. President" helped me realize that we have so many ignored problems in our world. It is not only our leaders who can help, either. We can get the ball rolling towards making a difference too.

I would like everyone to try something; the next time you experience a cold, stormy day, try wondering what that homeless person is doing to stay warm, dry and alive. What you see outside your window is not just a scenic picture, it's reality.

(Click on link to the right for "Dear Mr. President" lyrics)

2 comments:

Donna said...

Okay, this is sad...the way you put it, my gosh...I got shivers reading this...

Anonymous said...

You're right, everyone can have an effect on the world we live in...A candle loses nothing of itself by lighting another candle....another quote comes to mind too.....our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate; our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.