Monday, October 15, 2007

Hi, my name is Melissa Parrott, and I am a.......

Tonight I discovered something about myself, that I never really put much thought into or took very seriously. This is a BIG DEAL, and will effect me for the rest of my life. I realized that I cannot save money... Hi, my name is Melissa Parrott, and I am a Spendaholic!

I was just informed that there is a cheque with my name on it, en route to my little 'money-hungry' hands. This cheque amounts to enough money for me to pay off that evil piece of plastic that I call my visa. "YAY!!!!" was my first thought. Then I realized, nothing in life is free. This cheques' purpose is to cover almost 3 semesters in college...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is where I had my big breakthrough, and realized that I have a problem. After speaking with everyone in my house, we all decided that it COULD be a smart decision for me to put the money on my visa, and pay back the X amount of dollars before the year 2009. Sounds great to me. However, after further discussion we all remembered that I can't save money...so here are my ground rules to make this work:
  • After my visa is paid off, I have to cancel the account.
  • Since I have no willpower, my mommy (lol) has to set up a savings account in HER name so she can put MY money in it.
  • I am not allowed to know what bank she will be using for this, any passwords, or my account number.
The funny thing is, I still think that if I saw a cute pair of jeans that I couldn't afford, I would somehow get to my money. Now how brutal is that?

I have to admit, I am not very proud of my newly discovered problem, or addiction (I guess you could call it). I need help. Any advice?...or even if you know of any Spendaholic Rehab Centers nearby that I could check myself into, it would be a great help, Hahahaa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! You're cute Melissa and remind me a little of myself when I was in university (and had 6 credit cards!!!) First of all cancelling the VISA is key. There will be lots of time to enjoy plastic in years to come. As for you having a problem... I think that a problem is only a problem if you don't acknowledge it. Your weakness does not lie in taking help in the form of supervision from Mom....your weakness would be if you denied yourself help due to foolish pride. Even as adults we're learning and growing. Oprah says ( OPRAH FOR PRESIDENT!!) that growing up is about learning to put away childish things and behaviors. Who else better to help put away childish things other than your parents. Have fun and be a little frivolous in your younger years, just remember that if you're too excessive it will creap into the next stage in your life...you don't want that because even though those designer jeans feel like kick ass skinny pants right now,it won't be fun when its four or five years later and you're still paying off clothing that has long been out of style. You're doing fine, and you're honesty with yourself in being able to look in the mirror and admit you're not perfect is a great asset to yourself. As long as you keep yourself grounded like that, you will always face your issues head on and efficiently.

Jeannine

P.S. Heres a tip that I used....there are 4 seasons, only clothes shop 4 dates per year. You'll find yourself making a list of "need to buys" in between dates and this will help in buying what you need rather than buying stuff you'll only wear once. If you need something for a one night deal, shop in your friends closets.Its cheap and the return policy is superb!! =)

Anonymous said...

You are young and have heard this before, but just in case it did not sink in- this what to do. Look at the big picture.Save 10% and max out on your rsp,s.Everything else will take care of itself , even the plastic!Rod