Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I May Be Small...?

To start, I would like to say that I really don't know a lot about the world of blogging. This is just a learning experience for me. I may enjoy it, I may not, I may never know unless I try...so here I am. My goal for this experience is to put ME out there, for example, I am not gonna come on this using perfect grammer...I am from Newfoundland (haha), and this is not English 101. You are gonna get Melissa. Love me or hate me....but most people love me, so you probably will too!

I would like to explain why my site is called "I May Be Small...". First of all, it has nothing to do with my size, although I am what you could call 'small'...it has to do with so much more, it goes a little deeper. It has to do with peoples expectations of me. I say I want to be a doctor, others suggest that maybe I should be a hairstylist, for example. It's about living my whole life in the shadow of an older brother, who defined the perfect child, nephew, grandchild, cousin, student, worker, athlete, friend...everything. I knew my whole life that because I was nothing like him, people automatically had lower expectations of me. Actually, I began to accept it, and become it. I played stupid, I've asked people questions that I already knew the answer to. I remember when I was about 3 or 4 years old, pointing to a picture of a brain in a medical book, and asking my babysitter what it was. I knew what it was...and as I look back, I have no idea why I even asked. So that kinda explains the "I May Be Small" part.

Now for the "...". I feel that I am going to blow the socks off everyone someday really soon. There is so much more to me that people don't know, and maybe this site will help myself and others take note of my growth as Melissa Parrott.

Thank you for reading my first post. Feel free to leave your comments, give advice, anything. Take care!

8 comments:

Ron P said...

Older "perfect" brother here... just welcoming you to the blogosphere as I've learned it to be called. I have no doubt that people will find your posts interesting to say the least. Keep it up.

And as for what you were saying, I've heard it said to, "reach for the stars, because if you miss at least you'll end up on the moon." That's bullshit, if you want the stars, go for them and get to them. It sounds like you think people expect you to land on the moon. Prove them wrong, you can do it!

Unknown said...

The title of your blog is perfect. It really says a lot and sets the bar for what's to come.

Welcome aboard!

Donna said...

Way to go Melissa. You got guts and I sure do look forward to reading your blogs. Heh, you may be small, but your heart is soooo big. And I for one, have never thought you lesser in any way than anyone else. By the way, I heard alot that you are so much like your Aunt Donna...hmmmm, and I hope I'm not lesser than the next person. Love you girl!!!

andrea said...

Awesome!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read more. What was it I read from you...Go Big Or Go Home!! You do it and prove everyone wrong.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, you don't know me but I'm Steve's buddy. I found this reading Steve's facebook. I just wanted to let you know it's perfectly ok for people to set the bar low for you. You see, they probably have set the bar low for themselves and don't want to see you hurt. It's always safest in the harbour. However, it is not ok for you to set your OWN bar low. You cannot control how others think or feel. YOU control how YOU think and how YOU feel. If you want to be successful, you have to surround yourself with like minded people. If you want to be a doctor, you're going to be a doctor. Do something everyday that will help you accomplish your goal. I'm telling you to set your bar high. It might be so high others may not see it or understand it. It's ok. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Sounds like you want to be part of the elite 4%. You go girl...and don't look back.

nadinebc said...

Welcome to the bloggosphere. You will do fine!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, Great Blog.. and I have only met you once face to face at our recent family party and your heart is HUGE and you made me feel proud to say you are my cousin. You go girl and reach for the star.Life is not always easy, but do not pray for an easy life, but to be Strong. When I was struggling to find my nitch, I liked the song by rita McNeil.. I do not remeber what it is called something about stumbling and getting back on your feet. I look forward to hearing about Melissa Parrott with that smile on her face and "I need a hug". Nannie Parrott would have loved your hugs too. Take care and I will keep reading.
Cousin,
Mary Lou (frampton) Sullivan

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa...way to go girl! You reach for the stars and nothing less. I will support you all the way, and will always be there for you. You have personality, charm, and the wisdom to do whatever you want...believe in yourself. Love you sweetie.